Pilgrims On The Way


our old theologians used to make a lot out of the distinction between God's knowledge and ours...they distinguished...between a knowledge of God in himslef (a theology of glory), which was unavailable to us, and a revelation of God accommodated to our weakness (a theology of the cross). they called "our theology" theologia viatorum, "the theology of pilgrims." while pilgrims haven't already arrived, they know where they're headed and are even now on their way by God's grace. -Michael Horton

mercredi, juillet 01, 2009

Happy Birthday to my SIX YEAR OLD!!! (wow)


Dear Zachariah,

There is so much a could say to you...

I'll keep it short and sweet here in Blogger-land, and keep telling you/showing you with my life just how much I love you!!

You are growing up in so many ways little man.
Mommy is so proud of you!

Happy Birthday!











Zach had a superhero party (of course) and invited all the boys from his school class, as well as a half dozen from church.
I had decided that a "low-budget" birthday didn't have to mean "cheap"! I absolutely LOVE getting creative for my kids; it's part of my birthday gift to them!










So, I bought some bright blue fabric at the thrift store, and sewed/painted (each boys' initial in a circle on the back) more than a dozen capes for the goody bags. Along with the cape was a shiny mask, a glow-stick "sword" and a sucker. The cake was not my fanciest design, nor my best icing job; it just would not cooperate with me, so I let it be. (Did they care?? NOT!)

With 16 five/six year olds invited, I decided to host the event at our near-by waterpark playground.





The rain began about an hour before the party.





I was preparing the food (four dozen hotdogs, veggie sticks, chips and juice boxes) at home as I looked out at the darkened sky. Four or five phone calls from well-intentioned parents were given the reply: "Oh yes we're still on! I have no back-up plan. Our place is too small to host this many, and besides, the plan was to get wet anyway! ha ha"

Half an hour before the party the kids and I got into a circle on our knees in the living room. We held hands and prayed together that Jesus would blow the clouds away and bring out the sunshine for the party. (I, Mommy, was battling lack of faith with the eagerness to see my little boys' prayers answered. Being a bit conservative in such matters, I explained to the kids that God can do anything, but he sometimes chooses not to give us what we ask for.)

So, we drove to the park in the rain. And by the time I pulled to picnic basket out of the van, the rain had stopped. By the time our first guest arrived the sun was breaking out between the clouds, and by the time we sang HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Zach, we were audience to a clear blue sky and the warm embrace of the sunshine: aka God's huge gift to us!! ;)

Posted by Jeremy J Harnett :: 8:43 p.m. :: 2 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------